This pattern is for babies 0-3 months. ** I've edited this page to add notes for making larger sizes - at the bottom!
Materials used: Size H hook, worsted weight yarn, and a stitch marker to mark the start of each new row (if desired).
|Anja's Baby Hat|
By Erica Knudson
1. Chain 7 + 2 = 9 for base chain.
2. Dc in third ch from hook and across – 7
3. Turn, sl st across – 7
4. Turn, ch 2, dc in back loops across – 7
Rows 5 – 42: Repeat rows 3 & 4 until 13 inches long (21 dc rows total).
43. Sl st both ends of band together with RS facing out.
44. Sc 42 sts around edge of brim (in the same color as the brim). Sl st to join. – 42
45. Ch 2, dc around, sl st to join the round. Sl st to join. – 42
46. Repeat row 45 – 42
47. Repeat row 45 – 42
48. Ch 2, (dc in next 5 sts, dc2tog) around. Sl st to join. – 36
49. Ch 2, dc around. Sl st to join. – 36
50. Ch2, (dc in next 4 sts, dc2tog) around. Sl st to join. – 30
51. Ch2, (dc in next 3 sts, dc2tog) around. Sl st to join. – 24
52. Ch2, (dc in next 2 sts, dc2tog) around. Sl st to join. – 18
53. Ch2, (dc in next st, dc2tog) around. Sl st to join. – 12
54. (dc2tog) around Sl st to join. – 60
55. Dc2tog around until satisfied with the closure, between 3 and 5 times.
56. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
sl st = slip stitch
st = stitch
RS = right side
dc2tog = double crochet 2 together, a method of decreasing
**Please do not sell this pattern.
**If you wish to make a larger size, you'll find this link helpful:
For example, if you'd want a 3-6 month size, you'd make your band 15 inches long. You'd seam it according to the pattern and then pick up about 49 single crochet stitches around for the body of the hat. For this size, the height of the hat would need to be at least 6 inches finished to cover those little ears. When you can see you'd reach that height including the decreases, just decrease evenly until you reach the tip. I liked this hat just a little longer and pointier, but you'll see what you like when you're making it.