Making a gift for someone who doesn't know what they're having? This is a spin-off of an idea I saw called, "In case of girl, attach bow." I can't seem to find that pattern again, but if I do, I'll come back and link it.
Anyway, the trick here is to make something that could work for a boy
...and then making a nice flower that the mom-to-be can attach easily if she finds she's had a girl.
This is a fun way to get out of the normal colors we sometimes feel stuck with when we don't know whether it's a boy or girl - not that I have anything against those colors. It's just nice to have choices! It also makes the piece a little more unique because it is given in pieces and you can make a neat little card if you want (see pattern below).
In Case it’s a Girl… Attach a Flower
By Erica Knudson
Materials Used: The example flower in the photo was made with worsted weight yarn, size J crochet hook and a blunt needle.
1. Ch 4, sl st in first ch to make ring.
2. 12 sc in ring, sl st to join.
3. *Ch 3, skip one st, sl st in next st* around. At end, join with sl st.
4. Ch 1, *7 sc in ch-3 space* around. At end, join with sl st.
5. Fasten off and weave in ends.
6. Ch 4, sl st in first ch to make ring.
7. 12 sc in ring, sl st to join.
8. *Ch 3, skip one st, sl st in next st* around. At end, join with sl st.
9. Fasten off and weave in ends
10. Fasten flowers together with coordinating yarn and blunt needle.
11. Attach 10-12 inch piece of coordinating yarn to back of flower piece.
12. Include a note or tag – “In Case it’s a Girl… Attach a Flower”
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
st = stitch
sl st = slip stitch
*…* = repeat
**Please don’t sell this pattern.